Nikujaga (肉じゃが) is a combination of two words "niku" and "jagaimo", which mean meat and potatoes, respectively.
This traditional Japanese dish is very easy to prepare and at the same time very tasty.
As the name implies the two main ingredients are meat and potatoes. Beyond that you can add pretty much any ingredient you want; onion, carrot, chickpeas... Regarding the beef make sure it has enough fat, otherwise the meat will get dried out.
Another ingredient that matches very well with nikujaga is malony noodles. These translucent noodles absorb the taste of the other ingredients and add a new texture to the dish.
- 100g / 3.5oz sliced beef
- 1 potato
- 1/2 onion
- 1.5 tablespoon of sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of oil
- 1 tablespoon of Japanese sake
- 20g Malony dried noodles
- Cut the beef and potato into bite-size pieces. Then, cut the onion into wedges.
- Heat the salad oil in a pot and fry the beef, potato and onion. Then, add just enough water to cover, and simmer the ingredients for 10 minutes.
- Add the sake, sugar and soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Then add Malony noodles and simmer them together for 10 minutes.