This Japanese Honkarebushi Block from Kagoshima is categorized as a high-grade katsuobushi (dried bonito).
Katsuobushi is simmered, smoked bonito fillet which eventually fermented through sun-drying and mold-growing processes. By doing these it contains rich flavor and distinctive umami (savoriness).
This katsuobushi produced by hand and for more than 6 months is called honkarebushi.
Produced by Nakano Katsuobushi, a long-established store in Kagoshima Prefecture noted for the quality dried fish products. Among the Japanese prefectures, Kagoshima ranks #1 in the quantity of production of ”katsuobushi” (dried Japanese bonito flakes). Nakano's honkarebushi is recognized as a high-end dried bonito.
A must-try product for those who wish to experience the essence of Japanese cuisine.
Use Bonito shaver to make it as bonito flakes.
Give the shaved bonito a good boil and you can make a katsuobushi soup stock.
Flakes can be used as a topping for salads, tofu, cheese, ramen, udon or yakisoba noodles.
You can also use it by adding into mayonnaise, olive oil, or soy sauce and create original dressing.
- Net weight: (approx. 200g)
- Vacuum-packed in plastic bag
- Used bonito in Kagoshima Prefecture (well-known production area of bonito in Japan)
- Made in Japan
- Walter M. G.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars3/15/23Great taste
Shaving a bonito blick freshly instead of using pre-shaved flakes does make a big difference!
I have tested both. Great quality!
Make sure you put the block into a steamed cloth for ten minutes before shaving.
- Helena C.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2/18/23Great taste
Very good flavor and aroma, makes great Dashi and Furikake. Ordered 3 more.
- Dustin S.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars3/7/22Great service and quality product
I recieved my Honkarebushi Whole Japanese Katsuobushi Block (Bonito Belly) 200g. within a week of ordering. The katsuobushi is of excellent quality.