This handmade Japanese katsuobushi shaving box is crafted for effortlessly slicing fresh bonito flakes. Enhance your culinary experience with this traditional tool, expertly designed to bring out the best taste and aroma in your katsuobushi.
There's an old saying in Japan that katsuobushi should not be shaved until after seeing the customer's face, this emphasizes the benefits of shaving bonito freshly, immediately before serving, as oxidization can impact the flavor of the katsuobushi. With this shaving box, you'll be able to do just that!
Create a delightful topping for rice, miso soup, or tofu by sprinkling these freshly shaved bonito flakes. Elevate your dishes and savor the difference!
- Identify the bonito fillet's direction: Place the fillet down on a surface and look at it from left to right. One side will have blackish, rough skin (tail), and the other side will have a small convex near the tip (head).
- Place the bonito shaver on a flat surface. Hold the katsuobushi fillet at a 40~45° angle above the shaver. The tail side should be in the air, while the head side should be touching the shaver.
- Push the katsuobushi toward the blade to shave it. You should shave in a direction from tail to head. As the fillet is at a 40~45° angle, much of the tail side will pass over the blade, before the blade begins to make contact with the fillet at the head side. Keep shaving until clean flakes are produced.
- Materials: Natural wood (body) / steel (blade)
- Weight: 780g
- Size: Approx. 240×100×97mm
- Made in Japan
- LLLaura L.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars4/18/23Much better than buying bags of bonito flakes!
I love using this shaver, and the design makes it easy to store the dried bonito for future use.
- WMWalter M. G.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 3 out of 5 stars3/15/23Better than nothing
The shaving panel and the blade work well.
But the little bars, the panel is resting on are poor quality.
They are just fixed with two little nails.
In my case the shaving panel broke into the box while shaving. I glued the broken bar back into the box and did not have any problems since. If you don’t have any carpenter skills, this box will be risky to buy.
After my repair, the shaver does what it is supposed to do.
- AAlainVerified BuyerI recommend this productRated 4 out of 5 stars11/10/21Great tool
I bought it together with a piece of Honkarebushi Whole Japanese Katsuobushi Block (Bonito Belly), and I have it for breakfast with rice and soy sauce twice a week. The fresh dry bonito flakes makes all the difference, bringing the authentic Japanese taste right to your doorstep. I love it.
- MVMatteo V.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 3 out of 5 stars9/3/21I am sure it works, but I can't figure out how to make flakes
It's not easy to figure out if you haven't used it before or have someone to teach you.